Free Children's Programs: ENROLL NOW
Home Instruction for Parents of Preschool Youngsters (HIPPY)
To Help Your Keiki Develop and Grow
The HIPPY program offers home based early childhood education for three, four and five year old children working with their parent(s) as their first teacher. The parent is provided with a set of carefully developed materials, curriculum and books designed to strengthen their child's cognitive skills, early literacy skills, social/emotional and physical development. HIPPY is a parent involvement and school readiness program.
- HIPPY gives parents the tools, skills and confidence they need to act as primary educators of their children
- HIPPY teaches parents how to engage with their children in educational activities.
- HIPPY delivers services through home visits by trained peers from within the community.
- HIPPY begins with the basic tenet that all parents want the very best for their children, but might need support and help in developing their children's potential.
- HIPPY works because of its peer-to-peer model, because parents are engaged early and in a positive way, and because it is an esteem builder for parent and child, since learning becomes a fun routine and leads to school success and literacy.
School readiness skills are necessary for any child entering Kindergarten and range from early literacy skills, to problem solving skills, and the ability to listen and follow instructions.
- HIPPY offers skill development through a variety of approaches.
- HIPPY's curriculum is developmentally appropriate and builds on the children's interests and maturing skills.
- HIPPY is primarily cognitive based focusing on language development, problem solving, logical thinking and perceptual skills.
- HIPPY fosters social-emotional and physical development in children.
- HIPPY's curriculum covers the skills necessary to acquire reading and other literacy skills including phonemic awareness (phonics), identifying letters and words and the joy of reading, etc.